[Ffmpeg-devel] How to reduce the ffmpeg avcodec.dll, avformat.dllsize

Dave Dodge dododge
Tue Mar 21 01:29:01 CET 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 04:14:57PM +0100, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> I consider the linker as part of gcc, but I could be wrong.

The linker is separate from gcc.  On Linux the linker (and assembler)
are provided by the GNU binutils package.  On other Unix-like systems
the linker is typically provided by the OS vendor and may have a
completely different command line and feature set than the GNU linker.

> And the option is definitely a gcc feature. Look for the -fssa-dce option.

I'd be surprised if the SSA stuff involved the linker.

> This option is not available on MinGW.

Strangely, MinGW's online copy of the gcc documentation does list it
as an option.  It's been considered "experimental" for a long time, so
perhaps they disabled it in their build?

  http://www.mingw.org/cgi-bin/info2html/info2html?(gcc.info.gz)Optimize%2520Options

                                                  -Dave Dodge