[Ffmpeg-devel] Compiler error in latest CVS

matthieu castet castet.matthieu
Fri Mar 24 21:01:00 CET 2006

Hi,

Robert Edele wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 13:27 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> That looks like my code. If PIC support is very important to anyone
> (whatever that is), they're free to write a patch that avoids the use of
> ebx. Avoiding it is easy in vertical_compose, but it will likely be very
> hard to avoid using in inner_add_yblock because every register gets
> used, and I already had to make sacrifices to squeeze it in the existing
> registers. A loss of speed in add_yblock is also inevitable if ebx is
> not used (perhaps as little as a push and pop of ebx if you can use that
> with GCC inline assmebly).

May be code using ebx in inline asm should be disabled if the user wants
to use PIC. This will allow people to compile with PIC and use slow C
version and working PIC_COMPLIANT asm version.

Matthieu