[Ffmpeg-devel] Matroska Patch

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila
Sat Mar 25 16:34:25 CET 2006

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> No, the point is that it's safe and we're just being pedantic arguing
> over why it is. But anyone who knows C intuitively knows its safe to
> use time as a variable name.

I have got so often problems when shadowing variable (or anything) so I try
to avoid it in all times and use -Wshadow option on gcc command line.

(latest was after long time writing python I used `socket' as a variable
(or function or something), so the library code that used socket() failed...

Unfortunately (due to a long history) standard C library pollutes quite
heavily the namespace but that is just IMHO something we have to live with.

my 1c

> Rich

Tomi