[Ffmpeg-devel] Illegal instruction error for ffmpeg and> x264 on Intel iMac

Susan Montooth susan.montooth
Fri Mar 31 22:49:09 CEST 2006

On 3/31/06, Laine Lee <llee at lonestar.utsa.edu> wrote:

> On 3/31/06 2:03 PM, "Guillaume POIRIER" <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Odd, that means that the program has exited normally. Check your cpu
>> temp to see if it's not overheating. this could your problem.
>
> No, everything is normal. This problem is definitely code related. I can go
> back and forth instantly between the Intel build and the PPC build of x264
> and failure is specific to the Intel build. Everything works perfectly for
> the PPC build with the exception that it is slower than when I perform the
> command on a Power Mac G4.

I can't explain the problem with the Intel build. But there's nothing
mysterious about the fact that the PPC build works --  it's running in
Rosetta (the PPC emulation layer). That's also why the PPC build runs so
slowly.

Susan