[Ffmpeg-devel] Problems with preC99 compilers

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Thu Oct 5 01:11:05 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 12:37 +0300, M?ris Narti?s wrote:
> I was compiling recent GRASS GIS version but it failed on ffmpeg includes due
> to one line comments. One line comments (//) where introduced in C99, thus
> preC99 compilers do not understand them.

All widely used compilers from the past several years understand them.
Even the obsolete gcc versions from before any real C99 support
understood them.

> gcc version 4.1.2 20060920 (prerelease)

Supports not only // but most of the more complex features of C99 too.

> Error message:
> gcc -I/home/maris/soft/grass-6.2.0RC1/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include  -g -ansi -Wall

The -ansi switch explicitly sets the standard back to C89 and disables
support for any features of current C and GNU extensions that were not
present in C89. Remove that switch and it'll compile.