[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Dana Hudes dhudes
Fri Oct 6 17:33:37 CEST 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 03:17:43PM +0200, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
>
>> Dana Hudes wrote:
>>
>>> Tim Allen wrote:
>>>

>> Given that the ffmpeg project doesn't seem to be interested in releases,
>>

> no, we lack someone doing releases ...
>

>> I can understand the desire to be independent of the ffmpeg
>> infrastructure. However, sourceforge has had serious stability and speed
>>

> ffmpeg releases will be released primarely on mplayerhq and will live
> as branches in svn (or maybe some more advanced version control system
> at some point in the future)
>
> idependant releases done outside of our control and our quality standards
> are perfectly ok but they are well ... independant and not ffmpeg releases
>
> [...]
With all due respect I would find it very confusing to have releases in
the same repository as development. That may be how you like to do
things and you have every right to that opinion but my professional
configuration management experience screams no!!!. I have no objection
in principle to the use of the svn *server* at mplayerhq, but release
are not development and in a proper environment developers do not have
privileges to check things into the release tree.

 Rather, they submit release candidate code to the CM team and if it
passes whatever QA/test then it gets checked in as a part of a release
candidate or development and released to see if there are any issues for
which we don't have tests (and for the porters to compile on various
environments; it is, for example, not simple for me to get ahold of a
Mac OS X machine and at that its a Powerbook not an intel Mac....and
forget about BeOS AIX IRIX ....I don't have current MS Visual Studio
either and t some point even if i have access to build it'd be nice to
have someone else looking at e.g. cygwin). any issues that come up we
try for simple fixes otherwise we  document the issue in the release
notes as a known bug and possibly revise the test suite so that future
releases will not pass with the bug. Until we have a fix we don't
include the test obviously.