[Ffmpeg-devel] RTP patches & RFC

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Oct 12 12:29:35 CEST 2006

Hi

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:41:36PM -0500, Ryan Martell wrote:
[...]
> >[...]
> >> 4) I am using my own packet queues.  This means that a packet comes
> >>in (from network), gets allocated and copied to a packet, and once a
> >>full frame is received, is conglomerated and
> >>    copied into an AVPacket.  I got rid of the extra allocations and
> >>reallocations and copies with the fragmentation packets (see the
> >>add_h264_partial_data)
> >
> >either
> >A. you support out of order packets (like with a n packet buffer which
> >   reorders packets) and then after reordering you output them
> >B. you output packets in their order and fragmentation
> >
> >either way you should set AVStream->need_parsing=1 and leave the
> >merging
> >of packets to the AVParser
>
> Okay, sorry to be dense about this, but I'm still confused.  The
> packets that come over rtp have their size indicated in various ways,
> depending on the packet.  That information is NOT in the NAL, and the
> NAL is NOT preceeded by the start sequence.  So what I was doing was
> converting them to AvC style (preceded by length) packets.  This is

iam more in favor of adding the startcode prefix instead of the length
i dont think the avc style length stuff is supported by our AVParser

> step one, which I don't think the need_parsing can handle for me
> (right?).

yes, the AVParser expects a mostly complete h.264 stream

> (Or does the AVParser know enough about h264 nals to
> determine where they start and end?).  There are no sequence packets
> in the stream (it relies on the rtp timestamps).  Furthermore, if
> they are fragmented, they aren't just a fragmented bitstream, they
> have header data that must be stripped first, and they have to be
> accumulated, and only if certain parameters are met.
>
> Step two, is accumulating all of the packets with the same timestamp
> into a frame.  I can see how the AVParser could do this for me, based
> on the pts of the packet.

it doesnt need the pts for this, it will analize the nal units

[...]
> >>struct h264_packet {
> >>    uint8_t *data;
> >>    uint32_t length;
> >>    uint32_t timestamp;
> >>
> >>    struct h264_packet *next;
> >>};
> >
> >timestamps probably need to be 64bit
>
> they're only 32 bit in the rtp packet.

ok, if you just compare them for equality then thats fine otherwise
you should use libavformat/utils.c lsb2full() to make 64bit timestamps
out of them as they will overflow after ~ 13h (assuming 90khz) and
13h isnt that long ...

[...]
> >>//    av_set_pts_info(s->st, 33, 1, 90000);
> >
> >you must set the timebase correctly (the default of 90khz is very
> >likly not
> > correct)
>
> h264/rtp is automatically 90khz. It's also specified on the sdp line,
> but it will always be 90kHz.

what does the ADJUST_TIMESTAMP or whatever it was called code do then?

> Is this the correct way to set it?

yes, though the 33 should match the number of bits in the AVPacket->pts

[...]
> I'm also having to get the rtsp rtcp packet (receiver reports)
> working, because that's why the server is cutting me off after two
> minutes.

great

> Finally, I can give a Blocksize parameter to the server on RTSP
> initial handshake.  With this, I could specify a maximum packet size,
> which would allow me to preallocate all of my internal packets (using
> around 2k buffers each, since MTU is 1500 by default).  This would
> basically mean that there would be initial memory allocation for
> packets until I had enough in the packet pool, and I could retire
> them to another linked list and pull them from there.  So there would
> be no malloc's after an initial startup period.  I think this would
> be a good thing, but I'm not sure how the rest of FFMPEG feels about
> memory allocation.  Is this a better approach?

yes, less *malloc() and *free() is better