[Ffmpeg-devel] Ratecontrol problem

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Oct 13 11:47:50 CEST 2006

Hi

first dont top post

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 03:23:44PM +0200, Thomas Parmegiani wrote:
> I use the latest svn.

good, next step, read bugreports.html and do whats written in there (=
post complete uncut output from ffmpeg)

> Even if I change bitrate tolerance to a higher value it does not work...

what higher value, wheres the output from ffmpeg?

> The only way I found to reach the desired bitrate is to change the frame
> size to a lower resolution but I need to keep the original size.

well i guess 1920x1080 intra only mpeg2 cbr @ 15mbps is not realistic
even if you succeed to encode this in a vbv compliant way the quality will
be very poor

a few things you could try:
* remvove -bt 1 (and i mean remove, not replace it by anything lower then the
                 bitrate you want)
* is this interlaced or progressive? if its interlaced then set the command
  line options accordingly
* -mbd 2 -flags trell+mv0+cbp -cmp 1 might help a little
* decrease framerate (and incerase bufsize 1/10 of a second at the target
  bitrateis too little, especially at lower framerates)
* increase -lmax
* try -qscale X with X someting large