[Ffmpeg-devel] VP6 encoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Oct 24 00:01:42 CEST 2006

Hi

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 04:53:09PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 09:36:55PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > it would be interresting to see some comparission of x264 (8x8dct+cabac+all
> > the other goodies), snow (with iterative me), mpeg4 asp (with all the things
> > like trellis quant enabled) and dirac in PSNR per bitrate and subjective
> > quality per bitrate (double blind testing style)
> >
> > ive never tested snow against h.264, so i cant speak about that but when
> > compared against mpeg4 asp, snow had noticable better quality
>
> Some anime encoding gurus tested it and concluded that x264 produced
> much better results than the others they tried. I'm talking legit
> tests, not doom9-type nonsense. :)

well, i guess wavelets and overlapped block motion compensation arent ideal
for anime like material
and the directional intra prediction modes from h.264 probably work pretty
well on anime while with wavelets such directional prediction is not so
easy to implement (urls of papers and patches welcome)