[Ffmpeg-devel] help on forcing rgb555 with 16bpp

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Oct 26 19:37:30 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:03:50PM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
> Hi there
>
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:10:40PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > >
> > > I dont see why not, I'm not going to touch avidec.. this is a more
> > > general issue. the patch doesn't modify current behavior, just adds
> > > a new posibility.
> >
> > why does bpp=15 not work if bits_per_sample=15?
>
> Colors are wrong, i haven't digged deeper on it but is surely my
> demuxer's fault and not raw's. Anyway, what im trying to discuss here is
> the real _need_ to fake bpp, wouldn't that ruin decoding with third
> party libs?

what third party libs?

> why don't you want to allow, just allow, demuxers to
> hint pix_fmt when autdetection is unreliable?

because its a dirty hack and it opens a can of worms, it would cause
people to simply set the pix_fmt in the demuxers (yeah why not it works...)
and that would force all muxers to convert the pix_fmt back into codec_tag+
whatever else is needed like the bpp
if you want to propose that then send a patch and depending on how that looks
it can be disscussed but a change which allows raw something which does at
the same time fail with all muxers is not ok
also you would need to update the API docs in avcodec.h and increase the
version number