[Ffmpeg-devel] avcodec_decode_video/audio return values

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Oct 30 21:08:32 CET 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 08:36:39AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 04:02:18PM +1000, Richard Khoury wrote:
> > Looking at the doxygen documentation I noticed that
> > avcodec_decode_audio should return 0 if successful and -1 if not,
> > however I've found that this function returns the number of bytes
> > used much the same way that avcodec_decode_video is implemented. Is
> > this a mistake in documentation or in code?
>
> if thats written in the docs, then the docs are wrong

OK, found the problem.  In libavcodec/avcodec.h we have

/**
 * Decode an audio frame.
 *
 * @param avctx the codec context.
 * @param samples output buffer, 16 byte aligned
 * @param frame_size_ptr the output buffer size in bytes, zero if no
 * frame could be compressed
 * @param buf input buffer, 16 byte aligned
 * @param buf_size the input buffer size
 * @return 0 if successful, -1 if not.
 */

int avcodec_decode_audio(AVCodecContext *avctx, int16_t *samples,
                         int *frame_size_ptr,
                         uint8_t *buf, int buf_size);

but in libavcodec/utils.c we have

/* decode an audio frame. return -1 if error, otherwise return the
   *number of bytes used. If no frame could be decompressed,
   *frame_size_ptr is zero. Otherwise, it is the decompressed frame
   *size in BYTES. */
int avcodec_decode_audio(AVCodecContext *avctx, int16_t *samples,
                         int *frame_size_ptr,
                         uint8_t *buf, int buf_size)

So what's it going to be?

Diego