[Ffmpeg-devel] MP3 decoding from RTP stream. Getting "invalid new backstep"

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Oct 31 21:06:46 CET 2006

Hi

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:52:51AM -0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> >> yes if you implement it and send a patch, and yes i fully agree that the
> >> mp3 decoder should discard such packets instead of annoying the user
> >> with the noise
> >> just look at the code which outputs the error messages and silence the
> >> output somehowm shouldnt be too hard
> >>
> >> [...]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to silence the distorted output now. What would you consider
>
> Didn't Michael already do something?

yes and no, my change was just fixing the random trash for some mencoder
generated files which had random trash at the start of the mp3 stream
it was not a general error concealment thing ...

> > the best way:
> > 1) Return a value that indicates a problem
> > 2) Set a flag (which one?) in AVCodecContext that indicates a problem
> > 3) Changing the buffer values to 0? Is 0 the right value for silence?
>
> Zero is not a good value as it will cause pops or clicks if the previous
> sample has a large value.

hmm zeroing a block before the MDCT shouldnt introduce any big
discontinuities i think though iam not that good at MDCT related stuff ...
one alternative might be to simply use the coeffs fromm the previous
block, if that fails too google/citeseer would be the right place to
look for audio error concealment