[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper licenseheaders

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Fri Sep 1 22:47:03 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 11:39 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> > In libavformat/ dv1394.h is marked as GPL while dv1394.c is marked as
> > LGPL.  While this is probably an oversight, this makes FFmpeg versions
> > compiled with dv1394 support effectively GPL.  It's compiled in by
> > default on platforms that support it.  This looks like a simple
> > oversight, but probably the original author should be asked before this
> > is changed or the code put under CONFIG_GPL.
>
> Yes this probably won't be an issue but should be resolved.
Looking at the files, it seems that dv1394.h is derived from a linux
kernel header, which is GPLed... This is probably why dv1394.h is marked
as GPL. If this understanding is correct, I think it cannot be changed
to LGPL, and the correct solution would be to disable dv1394 if
--enable-gpl is not used.

BTW, last time that I tried dv1394 did not work with 2.6 kernels (it was
a long time ago, so the situation might have been changed in the
meanwhile)...
If I remember well, the problem was that a header file (probably it was
dv1394.h) contained some #defines from the 2.4 kernel, which changed in
2.6.

So, unless someone already fixed the problem dv1394 will need some work
anyway...

				Luca