[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper license headers

Måns Rullgård mru
Sun Sep 3 19:11:38 CEST 2006

Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 04:13:47PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>
>> libavcodec/mpegaudiotab.h says that "The licence of this code is
>> contained in file LICENCE found in the same archive".  What archive?
>> What LICENSE file?
>
> The file header says:
>
>  * mpeg audio layer 2 tables. Most of them come from the mpeg audio
>  * specification.
>
> Which specification is that?

ISO/IEC 11172-3, I suppose.

> All references to mpegaudiotab.h I found with Google point back to
> FFmpeg or programs derived from FFmpeg.
>
> If you look at the file you'll see that it's just a bunch of constants
> and tables.  Since we're operating under the assumption that these are
> not copyrightable I suggest we remove the silly line about its license.
> In any case, it already claims to be (c) Fabrice ...

If they are copied from the ISO spec, they can't be (c) Fabrice.  In
fact, if that's where they come from, they have to be non-copyrightable,
or we can't legally distribute them.  Is Fabrice around?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com