[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-cvslog] r6158 - trunk/libavformat/dv1394.h

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Sep 3 21:24:19 CEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 12:25:16PM -0700, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 20:51 +0200, diego wrote:
> >
> > Modified:
> >    trunk/libavformat/dv1394.h
> >
> > Log:
> > Switch license from LGPL to GPL, this file originates from libdv, which
> > changed license from GPL to LGPL eventually, see
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3320020&forum_id=5458
>
>   This file originated from the Linux kernel:
>         /usr/src/linux/drivers/ieee1394/dv1394.h
> I know because I took it from there and modified slightly.
> Whether or not it got into the Linux kernel from the libdv
> I don't know, but I wouldn't change the license willy-nilly
> under such circumstances.

Dunno if I made this clear enough in my post to the licensing review
thread, but I got the confirmation that this file originated in libdv
from the authors.  If you wish I can forward the mail here.

> As I pointed out I would be
> exploring the option of removing this file altogether,
> since we really have to depend on the real thing, and
> not on the copy. That'll happen in a week or so.

That's naturally an even better solution since it will remove some
duplicated code from FFmpeg as a bonus.

Diego