[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper license headers

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Sep 5 18:06:11 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 12:02:12PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 05:09:45PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > I do not agree at all. It is not evident that these files will be
> > non-copyrightable in all jurisdictions and forever, courts tend
> > to change their opinions on stuff that has only crappily written laws to
> > support them...
> > If we really believe they aren't IMHO the only other acceptable way
> > would be to explicitly say that we do not consider them to be
> > copyrightable preferably with a fallback if somewhen they are considered
> > that regardless of our opinions.
>
> Fallback is totally impossible, that's why they're not copyrightable.
> It's like a table of population data. Any other values but the "right"
> ones would be wrong and thus useless so you can't copyright it.

Umm... I meant "fallback license", like "if you really are so crazy to believe
this is copyrightable you will be completely safe if you assume it is
LPGLd" or so.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger