[Ffmpeg-devel] [Patch] fix swscale shared lib on x86-64

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Sep 19 01:17:17 CEST 2006

Hi

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:31:50AM +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 00:20, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > does -fvisibility=PROTECTED also fix this? if so id suggest to add this
> > to the flags if supported, this should also have other positive effects
> Protected is mostly pointless to use, standing to the very GCC documentation
> about visibility.

well if it fixes a compilation failure then its not pointless, furthermore
the next paragraph in gccs manual points to some text by ulrich drepper
which take all my faith away in the sanity of the near paragraphs

> If you remember I started working on a -fvisibility=hidden support, but last I
> heard from lu_zero, the API cleanup was still in process before actually
> deciding what should be exported as public interface and what not. If the API
> is now stabled on "whatever the installed headers do", I can easily
> forwardport my patch..

i think a patch which "decides" publicness for every symbol will never be
accepted, the only sane thing to do is to do this in small steps, one header
or one group of related symbols at a time

so symbols will be
1. local to libav* (=hidden)
2. exported (=protected)
3. undecided (=protected)

or s/protected/default/ if theres some issue iam unaware of