[Ffmpeg-devel] 64-bit safety

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue Sep 19 20:33:39 CEST 2006

"Derek E. Lewis" <dlewis at solnetworks.net> writes:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Christian Bienia wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> what's the current status of ffmpeg concerning 64bit safety? When I try
>> to compile ffmpeg on Linux/x86_64, I get errors from the assembler about
>> incorrect uses of the 'l' suffix for certain registers. If I compile
>> with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS set to "-m32", ffmpeg builds without any
>> problems, but it doesn't seem to work correctly (see my earlier
>> postings). What confuses me is that ffmpeg seems to build and run
>> correctly on my SPARC T1, which is a 64 bit CPU.
>
> The UltraSPARC-T1 is a 64-bit CPU, but by default, gcc compiles for
> 32-bit on SPARC, unless you specify -m64 (Sun Studio is similar).

FFmpeg has compiled and run without problems on Alpha, which is a pure
64-bit CPU, for years.  I hardly use ffmpeg on the Alpha nowadays, but
I do compile and run some tests every now and then to make sure it
still works.

The assembler warnings on x86-64 are probably from inline assembly
bits that are not compiled for non-x86 targets.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com