[Ffmpeg-devel] channel ordering and downmixing

Justin Ruggles justinruggles
Sat Apr 7 03:36:29 CEST 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 08:17:29PM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>>i think the AVCodec encoder should have a list of supported layouts and
>>>the user app should choose one
>>
>>Ok.  Then you have muxer support to consider as well.  e.g. pcm codecs
>>can support any layout, but certain containers only support particular
>>layouts.  One solution to this might be for the muxer to also have a
>>list of supported layouts.  Then we could either have the muxing fail if
>>the codec's layout is non-compatible with the muxer's list or else just
>>let it be on the user's head of they decide to mix incompatible layouts.
>

> adding such a list to the muxer is trivial if that is needed

That sounds ok.  Things could get a little more complex at the user
level this way, but better there than within lav*.

>>>then there are no ff_/av_ prefixes on non static things
>>
>>True.  I considered that, but I was mimicking the naming scheme for
>>codecs, parsers, and bitstream filters.  Is it different in this case
>>because the channel layouts are const or because of history?
>

> alot of stuff in lav* is historically missnamed

Then do we have a clear statement somewhere regarding our preferred
naming scheme?

> i even suggest to completely ignore downmix coeffs first and design just the
> channel layout stuff that way we have a smaller set of things to consider
> and after the channel layout is done and in svn work on the downmix coeffs
> (just a random suggestion)

Sounds good to me.  I have a clear idea of how to do it, and I have the
weekend off. :)

-Justin