[Ffmpeg-devel] Potential FFmpeg Licence Violation 'Koyote Ipod video converter for free'

Benjamin Larsson banan
Tue Apr 10 14:37:37 CEST 2007

M?ns Rullg?rd skrev:
> Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
>

>> Hello,
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 05:49:21PM +1000, mark cox wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>>  the recipient agrees to the terms of this Agreement. You may not reverse
>>>  engineer, de-compile or disassemble the Software, except to the extent that
>>>  this restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law. You may not
>>>  distribute printed copies of any user documentation provided in electronic
>>>  format. Regardless of the type of media you receive, you may only use the
>>>  portion appropriate for your single user computer/workstation.
>>>
>> A "standard" EULA, but this part is in violation of LGPL section 6 if
>> they link against libav*
>> Someone ready to contact them? Maybe they are just one of those who
>> don't know what they are doing... You can always hope after all...
>>

> If they are using the directshow wrappers in ffdshow, it is far from
> clear that they are violating anything by the process of linking.  If
> they are simply requesting, say, an MPEG2 decoder through the standard
> directshow api, their product is no more a derivative of lavc than it
> is of any other MPEG2 decoder with a dshow interface.
>
> Linking aside, since they are distributing lavc, they must also
> distribute source for lavc, regardless of the license of their code.
>
> As always, it is best to initially approach them in a friendly tone,
> alerting them of their duties.  If they refuse to comply, we can start
> getting nasty (well, as nasty as we can get without deep pockets
> feeding the lawyers).

How about we just start a black list of applications that use ffmpeg and
libs without the correct attribution on ffmpeg.org? At least then we
would have a hall of shame. Now all this info is burried in the
mailinglist archives.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson