[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Trent Piepho xyzzy
Sun Apr 15 21:33:14 CEST 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > Why don't just switch to GIT ? :) I wonder what does Michael thinks about it.
>
> main problem is i know very little about git
> but iam surely in favor of getting rid of svn, ill move "learning git" a
> little up in my todo list

There is another SCM called Mercurial that is very similar to git.  In some
cases it is faster and in some slower.  However, it is less complex and
easier to use.  There are few Linux kernel sub-systems (like v4l-dvb and
ALSA) that use Mercurial for the project, and then export their patches
upstream to git for inclusion in the kernel.

They are both much better than svn.  diff, annotate, log, etc.  don't use a
remote server and are far faster.  It's also much nicer for devs who don't
have commit access.