[Ffmpeg-devel] ffserver Documentation

Piero Bugoni crboca32
Sun Apr 15 22:18:46 CEST 2007

>From ffserver.conf:

# Transmit only intra frames (useful for low bitrates,
but kills frame rate).
#VideoIntraOnly

# If non-intra only, an intra frame is transmitted
every VideoGopSize
# frames. Video synchronization can only begin at an
intra frame.
VideoGopSize 12

I have not used these options, nor experimented with
them. I simply leave them out. (So thereby set to
defaults, I presume).

The ffserver.conf files I have put together are almost
ready to post. But, before, can any one give some
suggestions as to to how to tweak these settings
toward the objective of highest quality video with
lowest bandwidth.

What is the advantage of "IntraOnly" and what is the
effect on frame rate. Adjusting "VideoGOPSize" will do
what, and can benefit streaming how?

I have managed to get a setup working that maintains
good time sync, but when streamed with sound there is
not sync. (Audio lags video by several seconds, but
consistently, it seems).

Help with this would be appreciated. I have some
"canned" ffserver.conf files that have been tested,
and can be put to use as-is, if a person desires.

Thanks.

Piero.