[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Mon Apr 16 00:15:50 CEST 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:33:51 +0200
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 09:27:46PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > Hello,
> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:02:41PM +0300, Ismail D?nmez wrote:
> > > Why don't just switch to GIT ? :) I wonder what does Michael thinks about it.
> >
> > According to discussions on xine-devel it still is mostly a Linux-only
> > project. In my personal opinion fully functional and easily obtainable
> > clients for Windows, Linux, OSX and *BSD are the absolute minimum for
> > the central repository.
>
> considering the popularity of git i think by the time we all agree to
> switching ffmpeg to git and then actually do the switch git will
> have clients for all major OSs

You don't seem very confident in our ability to agree on such issues
in a short time (and you may very well be true) ;-)

That said, win32 support for GIT don't seems in a very good shape and
don't seems to progress very quickly. The fact that most GIT users are
working on linux centric projets is not very helpful.
The lack of win32 support is the reason GIT was discarded for Mozilla
(They choosed Mercurial instead:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/preed/2007/04/version_control_system_shootou_1.html )

Aurel