[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Mon Apr 16 02:49:52 CEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:28:23 +0200
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:08:04AM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:33:14 -0700 (PDT)
> > Trent Piepho <xyzzy at speakeasy.org> wrote:

> > > There is another SCM called Mercurial that is very similar to git.  In some
> > > cases it is faster and in some slower.  However, it is less complex and
> > > easier to use.  There are few Linux kernel sub-systems (like v4l-dvb and
> > > ALSA) that use Mercurial for the project, and then export their patches
> > > upstream to git for inclusion in the kernel.
> > >
> > > They are both much better than svn.  diff, annotate, log, etc.  don't use a
> > > remote server and are far faster.  It's also much nicer for devs who don't
> > > have commit access.
> >
> > Absolutely agree.
> > A few interesting facts about Mercurial:
> >  - size of the whole ffmpeg history: 14 MB
> >  - size of a working directory (ie. the whole history + a full checkout):
> >    27 MB (to be compared to the 29 MB of a svn checkout which contains no
> >    history)
> >  - comparable speed to GIT
> >  - less complex than GIT
> >  - much better support for some plateform (namely win32) than GIT
> >
> > For interested people, I maintain a Mercurial conversion of ffmpeg
> > repository available here: http://hg.gnuage.org/ffmpeg
> > You can simply grab it with: hg clone http://hg.gnuage.org/ffmpeg
> > Note that it has the same problem as the GIT conversion: it don't
> > include svn:externals.
>
> iam curious how is mercurial updated from svn? is it simple so that
> people can pull from svn or non trivial and we all have to pull from you?

It is pretty simple. I just use Tailor (http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor)
with the attached configuration file. It's triggered by cron regularly.
Note that it is pretty slow to grab and convert the whole svn history,
and you should probably do it from a local svn mirror instead or
hurting svn.mplayerhq.hu.
Oh, and I remember fixing some bugs in Tailor to get it working. I don't
remember if they got included upstream. If anyone is interested, I will
try to find where I put those patches.

> > For those who want to know a bit more about mercurial, you will learn
> > most of what you need in something like 1/4 hour in this tutorial:
> >   http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/Tutorial
> > And if you want a detailed documentation:
> >   http://hgbook.red-bean.com/
> > (BTW: AFAIK Mercurial also have a better and more complete documentation
> > than GIT)
> >
> > Has you may have understood, switching to Mercurial would makes me very
> > happy, but I would already consider GIT a great improvement over SVN.
>
> ive looked at mercurial and played a little with it and it seems to be
> great, that is MUCH better then svn/cvs
>
> what advantages does git have over mercurial?

I think it has a few, but I'm not a git expert...

> can a mercurial repository be converted to git?

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but I've only tried the other way.

> can changes with complete history be moved between different mercurial repos?

I'm not sure of what you're talking about exactly, but you can do several
commits in your local mercurial repository and then push those changes to
another repository (which will push all individual changes with full history,
so that other repo contains exacly the same history as your local one).

Aurel