[Ffmpeg-devel] Changing "-vstats" option behaviour

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Apr 16 16:02:36 CEST 2007

Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> Hi to all FFmpeg devs.
>
> I'm setting up a testing framework for ffmpeg/libavcodec. I'm encoding
> streams using different parameters, dumping the output in the vstats
> file using the -vstats option.
>
> Actually the vstats filename is automatically detected, and precisely
> its format is defined by the following snippet in ffmpeg.c:
>
> snprintf(filename, sizeof(filename), "vstats_%02d%02d%02d.log", today->tm_hour,
>                                                today->tm_min,
>                                                today->tm_sec);
>
> I would like to change the behaviour of the -vstats option to let the
> user specify the name of the outputted filename. For example it could
> work like this:
>
> ffmpeg ... -vstats vstats_test1.log
>
> In this way I could automatically do a report of the vstats file just
> as the encoding ends without the need to guess the vstats filename.

I think this makes sense.

> %H (2 digit hour number)
> %M (2 digit minute number)
> %S (2 digit seconds number)
> %s (seconds since epoch)
> %Y (4 digit year number)
> %y (2 digit year number)
> %m (2 digit month number)
> %d (2 digit day number)
> %p (pid of the process)
>
> and so on (where time parameters have the same meaning as for the date
> unix command).

I don't really see naming of files based on the current time important
enough to warrant this.  If the user wants it, he can format the filename
himself using the date command (naturally a female user could do the same,
but I can't be bothered to think up a PC synonym for every pronoun).

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com