[Ffmpeg-devel] PATCH Blackfin UNALIGNED_STORES_ARE_BAD in bitstream.h

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Apr 18 18:06:28 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:21:49AM -0400, Marc Hoffman wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer writes:
>  > Hi
>  >
>  > On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:23:34AM +0200, Fran?ois Revol wrote:
>  > [...]
>  > > > 2. Just have configure print a message directing users to a porting
>  > > > document with references to this line and other similar lines when an
>  > > > unknown arch is detected.
>  > >
>  > > #if !defined(..)
>  > > ...
>  > > #endif
>  > > #ifdef ARCH_GENERIC
>  > > #warning "FIXME: Unknown arch, assuming strict alignment. This could be
>  > > subobtimal!!!"
>  > > #endif
>  >
>  > noone reads the whole output from the whole compilation so this is not
>  > usefull
>
> Mike,

i suggest you call me michael or german short form of it (michi) to avoid
confusing mike melanson ;)

> Nothing for nothing, but....
>
> If you build the thing you just want it to work.  A general user would
> compile it run/use the software and thats it. (well probably complain
> that its not fast enough). If its not fast enough he is not going to go
> rummage through the code to figure out this issue.  On the other hand
> guys like you and me which their are very few would know how to find
> this issue with performance analysis tools and fix it when it becomes
> the long pole in the tent.
>
> I posted the patch because I would like the (Blackfin) to be able to
> use this software with out crash (which btw is more annoying than a
> small performance issue). Can we please just apply the ARCH_BFIN thing
> so that this software doesn't crash for Blackfin users.

iam fine with the patch

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch