[FFmpeg-devel] [DOC] FFSERVER Configuration Files.

Piero Bugoni ffmpeg.devel
Wed Aug 8 21:03:48 CEST 2007

--- Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> > > constant qp encoding is not suitable for streaming over a channel with
> > > limited bandwidth
> > >

> > OK.
> >
> > (How limited)?  I have around 320Kb/s upload speed to the net.
>
> you misunderstand
> fixed qp encoding IS fundamentally not suitable for streaming, it does not
> matter what bandwidth you have

Why is that?

> if you do have 100mbit/sec you might get away with a 5 streams at constant
> qp if the resolution isnt too high (dvd resolution or below)

Generally, the presumption with these files is that the resolution will be CIF size or smaller.

That being said, recommend some more appropriate Q values, and I will test them, and add them to
the notes.

FFServer deals with QMin and QMax, but I do not know if a "QScale" option is available.

Recommend changes, and I'll put them in.

P.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at
Yahoo! Games.

Got a little couch potato?