[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] r10045 - trunk/configure

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Sun Aug 12 02:22:33 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 20:16 +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> >   You know what, you can laugh at my stupidity all you want
> > but somehow I find the collation rules that put capital
> > letters behind small ones very counter-intuitive. Especially,
> > given the ASCII arranges them in exactly the opposite order.
> > Hence I forget about this rule all the time 'G' being ahead
> > of 'g' just seems logical ;-)
> >
> >   I'll fix this shortly, but does anybody know the rationale
> > behind collation rules? Does it have something to do with
> > English language or something?
>
> The only two collation variants I'm aware of are case-insensitive and
> capitals before lowercase.  This list seems to be sorted case
> insensitively.

  This, of course, is now getting really off-topic, but:

$ LANG=C LC_ALL=C sort << __EOT__
roman
Roman
rOMAN
ROMAN
__EOT__
ROMAN
Roman
rOMAN
roman

BUT!!!

$ LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 sort << __EOT__
roman
Roman
rOMAN
ROMAN