[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg development priorities

Robert Swain robert.swain
Wed Aug 15 21:13:25 CEST 2007

Scott Yeager wrote:
> Sorry if this question sounds wrong.
>
> Are there any methods, financial or other, of getting a codec (such as
> mts/avchd) developed for use with ffmpeg in a more urgent manner?

You can, and people have in the past, offered bounties for
implementation of features in FFmpeg.

> Are there any C++ interfaces for libavformat. The current C interface
> takes quite a bit more knowledge than the command line and can get
> frustrating if you are not well versed in video/audio technologies.

I'm not aware of any lightweight C++ wrappers personally but there are
C++ applications that use FFmpeg which may be of interest to you. A
quick Google around open source multimedia should throw up some.
Alternatively you could offer some money to someone to implement the
features in your software using libavformat. Or you can ask for
assistance on the ffmpeg-user mailing list or the FFmpeg IRC channel.
This section of your question is better suited to ffmpeg-user as it is a
question about using FFmpeg.

We're aware that the documentation of FFmpeg is lacking but
(unfortunately...?) most developers of FFmpeg are more interested in
developing new features than in documenting the API.

Rob