[FFmpeg-devel] The New Flash Video

Mike Melanson mike
Fri Aug 24 17:52:31 CEST 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 03:22:18PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> Hi

>>> Hmmmm
>>>
>>>   Overall though and leaving out the bugs I listed here which are my
>>>   fault, the H.264 decoder is a remarkable piece of engineering, it is
>>>   provided to us by MainConcept. It weights in at less than 100KB of
>>>   compressed code which is quite an achievement for such a complicated
>>>   standard.
>>>
>>> How does this decoder compare to FFmpeg's?
>> with --enable-small, strip and lzma
>>
>> -rw-r----- 1 michael michael  1254 2007-08-24 15:22 h264idct.o.lzma
>> -rw-r----- 1 michael michael 52483 2007-08-24 15:22 h264.o.lzma
>> -rw-r----- 1 michael michael   662 2007-08-24 15:22 h264_parser.o.lzma
>>
>> thats without dsputil stuff though which iam to lazy to seperate h264 out
>> for testing
>>
>> and with bzip2 instead of lzma:
>> -rw-r----- 1 michael michael  1418 2007-08-24 15:22 h264idct.o.bz2
>> -rw-r----- 1 michael michael 58282 2007-08-24 15:22 h264.o.bz2
>> -rw-r----- 1 michael michael   797 2007-08-24 15:22 h264_parser.o.bz2
>>
>> (lzma is tuned for binaries ...)
>
> note, h264.o also contains the svq3 decoder due to #include "svq3.c"
> and ive forgotten cabac which would be
> -rw-r----- 1 michael michael 823 2007-08-24 16:02 cabac.o.lzma
>
> but that also contains the cabac encoder ...
>
> so summary we are quite a bit below 100k with compressed code
>
> still our code can be improved a lot if someone wants to get it smaller
> looking at nm --size-sort h264.o is the obvious start point  ...

Remind me again: Does FFmpeg's H.264 decoder support PAFF?

Also, that < 100 KB number probably also includes the AAC code, though
I'm not certain. It might include the container parsing code as well.
People are always lumping these disparate concepts together
(MP4/H.264/AAC all gets called "H.264"; GRRRR!! It's so incorrect!).

--
	-Mike Melanson