[FFmpeg-devel] Regarding Video Acceleration API

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Aug 29 00:48:25 CEST 2007

Hi

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 07:28:00PM +0200, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As some of you may know or not, Intel is working on a XvMC replacement
> called VA-API (Video Acceleration API).
> XvMC being resticted to MPEG-1/2 decoding, its indeed not very useful
> these days.
>
> This new API (see http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi )
> aims at providing GPU assistance to MPEG-1/2/4, H.264, VC-1 decoding
> for capable cards (almost all are these days with adequate Windows
> drivers/players).
>
> Good point is that it aims at not being Xorg-restricted (which also
> means one can probably use h/w specialized decoder, not necessarly a
> video card) and not an extension to some video driver (like it was for
> XV). So one can possibly use it with several video outputs i guess.
>
> I bet it'll be available for Intel chips first but will probably be
> used by nVidia/VIA/ATI ones once mature.
>
> However, this API is only useful if decoders can make use of it and
> all are actually FFMPEG-based, hence the needed support. I guess it'd
> be interesting that someone from FFMPEG with enough knowledge in this
> area may participate with Intel in VA-API specifications at least,
> otherwise, I fear we'll end up with either a broken, unusable API,
> which would be a shame, especially as FFMPEG will probably be one of
> the only library to directly make use of it.

the doc above looks like that the bitstream after the headers is passed
to the API and the API does the rest
theres no immedeatly obvious problem with that

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle