[FFmpeg-devel] Problem building shared libraries using svn-r11100+ on x86_64

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Dec 4 23:59:21 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 11:23:04PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le quartidi 14 frimaire, an CCXVI, M?ns Rullg?rd a ?crit?:
> > No need, I've already fixed configure.
>
> I have seen, but I am not really happy with the concept of changing the
> linking style of the whole library just to change the linking of a few
> global constants.
>
> In particular, I fear this may break some third party applications that
> relied on overloading specific functions of the library.

being able to overload a specific function has never been supported nor should
it have been, it just worked on some, maybe all ELF based systems with PIC
shared libs and gcc

try intels cc it can IIRC inline global functions -> no more ovrrideability

also -Bsymbolic makes the code smaller, faster and more secure each of them
alone is reason enough to use it
so even if the code gets fixed differently we should keep -Bsymbolic

actually i consider it a bug in the linker that -Bsymbolic isnt default

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes