[FFmpeg-devel] ASF and RTSP support

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Fri Dec 14 10:10:17 CET 2007

Hi,

Ginnie Sharma wrote:
[...]
> Does the latest ffmpeg code support reading of RTSP streams?

Yes, RTSP is supported as an input format, but only few RTP
payloads are supported (basically, you can only receive MPEG*
or h.264 video and mp2 or AAC audio - see libavformat/rtp.c
for details). There also are some bugs and missing features,
but MPEG streams should work reasonably.

Since you are posting to ffmpeg-devel I assume you are interested
in implementing missing features or fixing some bugs?

> I have tried playing a number of RTSP URLs with ffplay and I am receiving
> errors like 'Could not find codec parameters' and 'Error while parsing
> header'.

You probably tried URLs streaming some unsupported payloads.
Have a look at the SDP returned by the server on the DESCRIBE rtsp
command, and you'll have some clues about what should be
fixed/implemented.

				Luca