[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] missing close/free functions for avformat?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Dec 15 17:51:29 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 05:38:02PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 05:28:51PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > Hello,
> > unless I missed something there are no corresponding close/free
> > functions for av_alloc_format_context and av_open_input_stream.
> > But these are part of the public API, what use are they if there
> > is no proper way in freeing the allocated memory...
> > It actually seems to me that almost everything except the url_fclose
> > should go into a av_free_format_context, do you agree with that?
>
> have you tried:
>
> av_alloc_format_context() - av_free()
> av_open_input_stream()    - av_close_input_file
>
> ?

and yes this should be documented, also iam not against simplifying
things or moving common operations into some function ...

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle