[FFmpeg-devel] OSX 10.5 (Leopard) build problem

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Dec 15 21:05:26 CET 2007

"Steven M. Schultz" <sms at 2BSD.COM> writes:

> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
>
>> i386/dsputil_mmx.c: In function flac_compute_autocorr_sse2:
>> i386/dsputil_mmx.c:3003: error: can't find a register in class
>> GENERAL_REGS while reloading asm
>> i386/dsputil_mmx.c:3005: error: can't find a register in class
>> GENERAL_REGS while reloading asm
>> make[1]: *** [i386/dsputil_mmx.o] Error 1
>>
>> 	it was recommended to use the workaround of using
>>
>> --extra-cflags=-mdynamic-no-pic
>
>> 	It seems that with 10.5 the advice that "-mdynamic-no-pic" is for
>> 	applications and not shared libraries is being enforced.
>>
>> 	So if -mdynamic-no-pic can't be used because of linking problems
>> 	but the compilation fails if that option is not used what's a person
>> 	to do?
>
> 	Any progress on being able to build shared libavcodec on OSX 10.5?
>
> 	dsputil_mmx.c won't compile unless mdynamic-no-pic is used but if
> 	that flag is used then the shared module fails to link with
>
> ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in _put_pixels8_xy2_mmx from i386/dsputil_mmx.o not allowed in slidable image
>
> 	Effectively a shared build can't be done on OSX 10.5 on a Intel based
> 	Mac.  A static build is useless since other programs (libquicktime
> 	for example) need a shared library to load.
>
> 	Is there anything being done to change the present situation?

As far as I am concerned, the bug is in OSX, not FFmpeg.  There are no
problems on other OSes, or even older versions of OSX, so there is no
technical reason why the code shouldn't work on OSX 10.5.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com