[FFmpeg-devel] OSX 10.5 (Leopard) build problem

Alexander Strange astrange
Sat Dec 15 21:33:25 CET 2007

On Dec 15, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, [iso-8859-1] M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
>> As far as I am concerned, the bug is in OSX, not FFmpeg.  There are
>> no
>> problems on other OSes, or even older versions of OSX, so there is no
>> technical reason why the code shouldn't work on OSX 10.5.
>
> 	To me it's a matter of poorly formed code that relies on lenient
> 	linkers.  Other systems, including older versions of OSX, had a
> 	linker that apparently allowed non-pic code to be placed in a
> 	shared library.

The linker was rewritten for x86-64 support and 10.5 was rushed out
the door apparently before they
could put text relocations back in. I believe GNU ld supports it
perfectly well too, and they're rather apologetic
about it in the documentation, so it'll hopefully be back in soon.

Actually, since that's using =m constraints and not MANGLE, isn't this
a gcc bug? I guess I'll file some more bug reports.

If you don't need encoders, just do --disable-encoders and it'll build
again. Otherwise, um, I wonder why it doesn't have --disable-sse2...