[FFmpeg-devel] matroska-faststart

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Tue Dec 18 23:18:49 CET 2007

emanuele fumagalli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know there's a tool (qt-faststart) in the ffmpeg library that let me
> move the header of a MP4 file at the beginning of the file.
>
> I would like to know if there's a similar tool for a Matroska file, or
> if someone is developing it.

Not that I know of.

> Basically it would be enough to put the Cues section at the beginning,
> just after the Segment Information and Segment tracks

A better thing to do IMO would be to improve seeking with no Cue.
This means building index during stream playback, and try to use this
dynamic index when seeking. If the dynamic index still don't cover
the area you want to seek to, then seek to the last available index
and parse all clusters until your reach your target.
Note that this Cue-less seeking is already implemented in MPlayer's
matroska demuxer.

Aurel