[FFmpeg-devel] libossupport status

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Dec 23 15:36:29 CET 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 05:51:51AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 09:11:19PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > For example on win32  close()  will not accepts socket handles  and
> > > select()  will not work on file handles, meaning
> >
> > If win32 supports closing sockets, there should be a function doing that,
>
> The problem is whether it's always possible to tell, given a win32
> pseudo-fd, whether it's a fd or a socket. Mingw is actually already
> emulating fds on top of win32 HANDLE crap, renumbering them for
> semi-posix-conformance, but sadly does not do the same for sockets. It
> could (and should) be fixed to do so and unify them.

yes, of course should it be fixed in mingw, that would be ideal but until
than we need some workaround ...
also if normal fds on mingw count from 0,1,2,3,... and sockets are pointers
they should be distingishable unless there are really many files open (which
windows doesnt support i suspect ...)

> > that can then be used. If it supports the equivalent of select() on files
>
> The equivalent of select on files is to always return true. RTFM
> posix. :)

i always keep forgetting the url of the official posix docs :)

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates