[FFmpeg-devel] New project using ffmpeg

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Dec 23 22:14:38 CET 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 12:25:52PM +0000, Cezary Falba wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2007, at 17:34, Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> Thanks a lot for checking a site and all advices.
>>> I just fixed a website and added a license to both sources and
>>> installers.
>>> It will be highly appreciated if you could re-check that page again
>>> when you have few minutes.
>>> There is no rush as we still have time before we officially release it
>>> to public.
>>
>> I have trouble testing the Mac version since it now seems to require OS
>> X 10.5, but I'm still on 10.4.  Your website claims that only 10.4 is
>> required..
>>
>> You have added LGPL copyright headers to your source files, but the
>> license text you include is the GPL.  This looks like an oversight from
>> you.  Also, your copyright headers only contain two of the three
>> paragraphs commonly used for this purpose.
>>
>> Are you using FFmpeg in GPL mode?
>>
>> I'm being told that the Windows installer of your program is totally
>> broken and installs stuff into C: instead of the path it claims to
>> install to.  It also displays a license different from the (L)GPL.
>>
>> The Windows source package contains a __MACOSX directory, weird.
>>
>> I still find it awkward that the first mentions of FFmpeg, AviSynth and
>> Perl on the above website are not links to homepages.  Instead you hide
>> those links at the bottom of the page.
>>
>> So it's getting better, but you're still not at 100%.
>
> Good to hear from you that we are get better with that.
> I just made some tweaks to installers and website.
> I also replaced license files with proper LGPL...

Well, we are moving sideways, rather than forward.  Here is a list of
issues, some of which are old:

- The Windows source code link gives "403 Permission denied".

- The OS X installer claims to work on system 10.4.6 or later.  When I
  try to install on 10.4.11 I get a message that "10.4.6 or later is
  required", well I thought that 11 > 6, but oh well ...

- You mark your source files as LGPL 2.1 or later, but the license file
  you include and link to is the LGPL version 3.  What is it going to
  be?

- You do not provide FFmpeg sources for download.  A pointer to our
  homepage is not enough.  You need to give people the exact source you
  are using.

- In the paragraph
    Saffron Master Encoder is our in house encoding utility made on top
    of open source projects such as: FFmpeg, AviSynth and Perl that
    prepares your source video to be used with our mobile delivery
    platform.
  the words FFmpeg, AviSynth and Perl should be clickable links that
  lead to each project's homepage.  You have put links below that
  paragraph, but this feels awkward and FFmpeg is missing.
  This is a minor issue, but it would be nice if you could fix it.

Overall I have to say this is starting to feel a bit like free
consulting work for your company.  I'm under the impression that you
still have not read the licenses or its FAQs yourself.  Instead you have
me go over the results of your tries to comply with the license.  I'm
not seeing you put in the necessary effort to amend the situation.  This
is frustrating.

Diego