[FFmpeg-devel] libossupport status

Rich Felker dalias
Mon Dec 24 20:10:08 CET 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 11:15:04PM +0900, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> > That's what I suspected. On windows actually both are pointers (or
> > rather HANDLE) if you use the win api functions, and mingw
> > nonsensically translates disk files to small integers starting at 0
> > (necessary) but without doing the same for sockets. This is why I
> > think they should fix their broken crap..
> Is this an issue with MingW or an issue with the C runtime they use (i.e.
> msvcrt.dll)? Or is it a problem in the ffmpeg code?

Mingw's claim to just use the MS "C runtime" (msvcrt.dll) is not
entirely true. They wrap it to fix some of the worst deficiencies
(e.g. providing 0-based fds in place of windows HFILE crap), but stop
short and don't fix all the problems...

Another major area they need to fix is doing away with the 8bit
locale-based filesystem calls and WinMain entry code and instead use
the corresponding unicode functions, then provide a UTF-8 environment
to the application. This would allow mingw apps to access all files
rather than just ones whose names are representable in latin-1 or
whatever the local "ansi codepage" happens to be.

Since they're already wrapping the filesystem calls for converting
handles, doing this would not be much additional work..

Rich