[FFmpeg-devel] libossupport status

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Dec 29 01:16:09 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 12:59:07AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > Francois has strange ideas about portability...
> >
> > ffmpeg is actually the only project I know with members insisting on
> > porting OSes to the application...
>
> OSs as well as applications should support standards (POSIX / ISO C)
> its a matter of O(n) vs. O(n^2)
>
> porting 100 OSs and 100 applications to POSIX is 100+100=200 things to port
> porting 100 apps to 100 OSs is 100*100=10000 things to port
>
> also very few of the 100 apps will be ported to obscure OSs
> its very simple: fix your OS to support POSIX or watch with your own
> eyes how evolution works

How many people around here have actually seen BeOS in action?  I have
never used it, but i have at least seen it 10 years or so ago.  OSes
only get used if there are applications available for them.  Now if all
BeOS devs just try porting applications to BeOS instead of the other way
around it is only a small wonder that BeOS disappeared into obscurity...

Diego