[FFmpeg-devel] [OT] Re: libossupport status

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Dec 29 23:38:23 CET 2007

"Cian Duffy" <myob87 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 29/12/2007, M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Fran?ois Revol" <revol at free.fr> writes:
>>
>> > And I still can't figure out drag-n-drop and clipboard in Gnome. (it
>> > used to work better in Solaris with X11 apps...)
>>
>> I agree that Gnome is a complete disaster, and I won't touch it with a
>> barge pole.  Plain old X and ICCCM stuff usually works quite well, and
>> I never saw a useful case for drag-n-drop.
>
> You've never worked in DTP,

I'm not familiar with that acronym.

> linear media editing,

I admit that I haven't, but I can't quite imagine how
inter-application drag and drop would be useful.  Drag and drop
*within* a single application might perhaps be useful, but that
doesn't require any standards conformance.

> or moving large quantities of files around, then?

I do it all the time, and nothing beats the command line tools (cp,
mv, find, etc.) in efficiency.

> Lack of consistent, functional drag and drop between applications and
> various file system management tools is the reason a large organisation I
> used to work for refused to use Sun JDS 1 (the Linux based one); as it was
> felt that it would drive the user base insane, and quite rapidly. Supposed
> "super users" may claim 'features' like that aren't needed - but they are.

I have no idea what Sun JDS is, but I usually dislike anything from
Sun starting with a J.

None of the "superior" features of Beos mentions thus far are of any
use to me, and thus cannot support the claim that Beos is a superior OS.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com