[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Feb 11 20:06:11 CET 2007

Hi

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 07:44:57PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> This topic just came up while talking with Mans on IRC..
>
> Currently we have two different methods of integrating external
> libraries: dlopen or (dynamic) linking.  Or rather some libs offer one
> option or the other or both.  libfaad supports both variants, liba52
> just dlopen after my last changes, the others just linking.
>
> So the question is if we should drop dlopen or not.  Mans is in favor, I
> tend to agree.  In any case we should be consistent.
>
> Opinions?

keep dlopen and drop linking if you want to drop something, i really hate
it if a application has 500 dependancies which you have to install even
though you dont use any of them or having 500 variants of a application

of course you could argue that we should not care about binary packages
but only support things compiled from source ...

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf