[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Sun Feb 11 21:04:38 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 20:06 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> keep dlopen and drop linking if you want to drop something, i really hate
> it if a application has 500 dependancies which you have to install even
> though you dont use any of them or having 500 variants of a application
>
> of course you could argue that we should not care about binary packages
> but only support things compiled from source ...

The link dependencies are not a problem for local compilation if they're
for optional features and won't be enabled if the libraries are not
present. They don't cause problems with proper binary packaging systems
either (such as Debian) when the system can take care of the
dependencies. The only problem case would be trying to distribute
binaries without proper packaging.