[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Can not play a YUV file using ffplay

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Feb 12 19:52:03 CET 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 05:30:10PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> [...]
>
>>>by the way, I have compiled the whole ffmpeg project using the fixed
>>>ffplay.c in SVN source tree, but still I couldn't play the yuv file. errors
>>>are as follows:
>>>
>>>picture size invalid (0x0)
>>>[rawvideo at 0x8376db0]Could not find codec parameters( Video: rawvideo,
>>>yuv420p)
>>>test.yuv: could not find codec parameters
>>>
>>>the comman line I use is :   ./ffplay -f rawvideo -x 176 -y 144 test.yuv
>>>
>>>have you ever tried the rawvideo file?
>>>

>>Think about it. What is a yuv file? Rawvideo, without any adornment.
>>Hence, no way for ffplay to guess the image size. And 'ffplay -h' would
>>show you that there is no way to give the info to ffplay either, -x
>>being the *displayed* width. So, you cant play a raw yuv with ffplay.
>>But you could use ffmpeg to mux the yuv in an avi.
>

> ffplay -f rawvideo -x 352 -y 288 foreman_cif
> works here so id say the original poster does not use latest svn

And I can scream for the full output, as I do about ffmpeg, because
there isnt any!

But dont you find that ugly? And impractical too: it means there is no
way to play an YUV except at its native size.

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
E mailto:mbardiaux at mediaxim.be