[Ffmpeg-devel] little player development request

Ryan Martell rdm4
Tue Feb 20 22:00:53 CET 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Luca Barbato wrote:

> DNA Studios s.r.l. wrote:
>> Hi to all,
>> My company looking for someone that make a little player with
>> basically
>> GUI that play only h.264 movies from our Darwin streaming server
>> (RTSP
>> over tcp tunnelling on port 80)
>> The player must have only the functions of play, pause, slidebar
>> to move
>> on the movie and full screen.
>
> looks like it is quite minimalistic.
>
>> The player must work on Win xp, Windows Vista and MAC.
>> We do not want to use vlc or mplayer, we want to create ours
>> player open
>> sources based.
>
> Well ffplay doesn't work with rtsp+tcp as is and dss is everything
> but a
> standard rtsp server. So in short you have to take ffplay, improve the
> current rtsp layer (adding some playout buffer) and live happy with
> it.

actually....

if you compile with libfaad, as is ffplay will support h264 streaming
from DSS over rtp.  That's what I was using to test the h264/rtp stuff.
It will do everything you're looking for, BUT:

since ffmpeg is designed for transcoding more than playback, the
networking doesn't have any buffer layer.  You would have to add that
unless your network connection was really, really fast.

So, just try:

./ffplay --stats rtsp://SERVER_NAME/asset.mov and see what happens....

-Ryan