[Ffmpeg-devel] About LGPL for commercial product

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Tue Feb 27 11:19:52 CET 2007

Hi Luca,

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:43 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> osman osman wrote:
> > Dear
> > I want to use ffmpeg in my closed source commercial product.
> > Is it possible with LGPL license?
>
> Read the rules, in short, as long you do not modify the library but just
> link (dynamically) to it, you can without any constraint but the usual
> ones you have when distributing the library alone.
This is probably unrelated to the original question, but I always
wondered why LGPL is not ok with static linking...

Out of curiosity: if I statically linked my program to libavcodec, and
then I distributed
	1) the binary of my program
	2) the source of libavcodec
	3) the .o needed for obtaining my program (when linked with libavcodec)

would I violate the LGPL? (would I need to distribute a makefile too?)

			Thanks,
				Luca