[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Tue Feb 27 17:23:57 CET 2007

On Tuesday, 27 February 2007 at 17:13, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:33 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 05:15:07PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
> > >
> > >   The problem is -- dynamic linking just doesn't scale. And anybody
> > > who disagrees with it should take a look at any application that
> > > has to work across different distributions to see that these guys
> > > have to lug around things like private versions of glib and the
> > > fact that these private versions are .so's hardly makes any difference
> > > because for all I care the application could've been statically
> > > compiled with the same net effect.
> >
> > What program except binaryware bull has to work across different
> > distributions?  And why would you want to link dynamically instead of
> > statically in this case?
>
>   Any program for which your distribution doesn't build a package.
> And don't give me a "you can always build it from source
> lecture" -- try building something like Mozilla, OpenOffice or even
> Scribus on your grandma's machine and then (once its finished in a
> couple of days) -- continue arguing.

Funny, I always thought that's what distributions are for. To save you
from compiling stuff yourself. Oh wait, you're not running Gentoo on
your grandma's machine, are you?

Regards,
R.

--