[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Feb 27 17:52:34 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:19:07AM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 11:11 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 05:24:20PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
> > >
> > >   Well, if Linux (and all UNIXes in general) would like to ever be
> > > considered as serious contenders for the Desktop crown -- they better
> > > start caring about things like how to make software work across
> > > distros and how to make it use each distro resources efficiently.
> >
> > Funny how everybody seems to know what the magic ingredient to the soup
> > has to be so that if "Linux" (whatever that may be) drinks it today, it
> > will take the "Desktop" tomorrow.
>
>   Perhaps its funny, yes. But I'm pretty sure everybody has a bunch
> of personal pet peeves when it comes to managing Linux desktop.

Sure, who wouldn't ..

> > Also funny that it's always something they have a direct interest in ..
>
>   Come on! The fact that I post from @sun.com has nothing to do with
> me being interested in software working across different distributions.
> I gave an example of why its needed even in the OpenSource world
> and given that Sun is going to OpenSource all of its software, lets
> skip arguing about the commercial closed source. It'll just make
> our conversation easier (not that it'll make it less off-topic ;-)).

This has nothing to do with your company affiliation.  I see this "I
know the magic ingredient" attitude from everybody, I cannot even exempt
myself from it.  To me it just proves that nobody knows which ingredient
is the magic one and makes the very existence of a magic ingredient
highly unlikely.

Diego