[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Re: Re: [theora-dev] Theora encoding in FFmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 1 22:36:15 CET 2007

Hi

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 08:37:00PM +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
> On 01/01/07, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> >muxer
> >(duplicated)

> >much
> >> >

> >> In that case shouldn't there be a function in libtheora to concatenate
> >> all of the "extradata" packets together in a container-insensitive
> >> way?
> >
> >yes, there certainly should be. unfortunately the xiph people, in
> >their infinite wisdom, are outwardly hostile to container-insensitive
> >things and want to make their codecs as painful as possible to use
> >with non-ogg containers.
> >
> >btw, is there a reason you want to use theora so much? it's not a good
> >codec at all..
> >

> I have two reasons.
>
> 1)  I want to show some support for a patent-free video codec.
>
> 2)  Theora was quite good in a few basic tests I ran here.  Compared
> against ffmpeg's "mpeg4" codec at 400kbit CBR, theora was clearly
> better.

dont forget to set reasonable options for encoding!
(-flags +mv4+aic+trell -mbd rd -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -pass 1/2)
-flags qprd is also worth a try
and ensure that you set the vbv buffer size in all codecs to the same
value, and DONT mess with -bt

also it is _very_ important to use postprocessing on the decoder side for
mpeg4 asp (theora and h.264 have their own "postprocessing" in loop filter
build in) mplayer -vf spp=X or -vf pp is something you could try

> Compared against ffmpeg's "h264" (libx264), there was no
> clear winner (part of the problem was that I couldn't get h264 to

the default options for x264 encoding with ffmpeg are VERY bad, there
should be some recommanded command line parameters for ffmpeg-x264
somewhere i think (no i dont remember where ...)

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato